Who are we?

Teacher Ms K Mavi

Curriculum Intent

We think and act like entrepreneurs.

Everything has a “business” side to it — every industry needs accountants, marketers, managers, financial analysts, and technology support staff … in other words, business is everywhere!

Our curriculum develops the skills needed to understand how businesses operate and how they become successful –


Because business is in need of enterprising young people who are characterized by great imagination and initiative.

Our core themes include:

  • Entrepreneurship
  • Finance
  • Promotion
  • Business Planning

What do we do?

Business is a major part of everyone’s life and anybody who has a good idea about how business works is at an immediate advantage in today’s competitive marketplace. Enterprise is taught as an option at Key Stage 4. We are currently following the Pearsons Edexcel BTEC specification which is split into three units.

Components 1 and 2 are assessed by extended coursework and constitute 60% of the final grade whilst Unit 3 is an external examination which makes up the remaining 40% of the final grade.  A strong aptitude in mathematics, but more particularly, English, is a distinct advantage when considering this subject as an option.

A day in the life…

Our first term’s work in Year 10 starts with students coming up with an innovative new social enterprise idea that could be run in school. We find out why people chose to run a business (apart from the money), how to conduct primary and secondary market research using qualitative and quantitative data and find out how to add value to a product and we construct market maps to understand how to position a product in a market whilst assessing the competition.  Students use ICT resources along with desk-based learning to investigate important enterprise skills, Blue Skies Thinking, Six Thinking Hats, the importance of planning and understanding the effect of competition and risk, whilst developing the soft skills of teamwork, collaboration and compromise, delegation of roles, working to a time limit and leadership skills.



Schemes of learning are regularly reviewed through recall and retrieval activities, so that students feel confident in their gained knowledge and understanding.

Consistent feedback is used that allows students to reflect and develop their understanding further through challenging constructive comments using higher order thinking skills.

Lessons are consistently planned that accommodate different learning styles and differentiation that allows all students to make good or excellent progress.

Lessons allow students to consistently understand where their learning stands in the bigger picture and how it is linked to other curriculum areas.

Closing the Gaps

After school intervention/enrichment sessions are provided and delivered on a weekly basis for Y11 students, giving students the opportunity to improve their acquisition of knowledge, exam and coursework techniques.

Students benefit from a wide range of different learning styles and platforms to allow all students to develop, improve and access the curriculum.

Students can purchase revision guides, exercise books are available to use in school and the school VLE (Frog) allows students to have access to a range of resources, to extend the students learning.


We work closely with a number of trust partners, in particular One17 Architects in Huddersfield, who come into talk to the students about their business to aid them in their assignments.

We provide opportunities for students to take part in Business workshops at Kirklees college and trips to businesses in other areas.

We are currently exploring opportunities to visit smaller businesses within our local community.